The Fifth Rose
  About Me

the story
Jan 89 - Apr 91
Jan 91 - Nov 94
History A
History B
Richard Gelder
Scott Harter
Stephen T Erlewine
J S Homepage

the roses
Ian Brown
John Squire

the rest
Robbie Maddix
Aziz Ibrahim
Nigel Ippinson
Pete Gardner
Andy Couzens

13 January 1991 - November 1994


January 91

ON JANUARY 13th, TSR book into Bluestone rehearsal studio in Pembrokeshire, South Wales. their manager, Garath Evens, is keen for the band to stay for as long as possible, to keep them away from the public eye while the legal dispute with their record label Silvertone continues. It soon becomes evident, however, that their behaviour is too erratic for them to stay there long. It's in the middle of winter and the band entertain themselves any way they can. They use pool cues as baseball bats and fire pool balls across the studio, eventually breaking a large double glazed window. Ian apologises the next morning. Reni's catchphrase becomes"What day is it?" After heavy snowfall, the four of them take large silver trays and toboggan down a nearby hill. Their favourite pastime (besides shooting lit balls of paper at each other through a space heater) is to build a bonfire outside the studio and throw aerosol cans into the blaze, causing lumps of red hot metal to explode outwards like shrapnel. In tribute to Noreen, Bluestone's owner, John takes her #400's worth of Harrods carving knives and helped by the others, fashions a circumcised nine foot phallic symbol out of snow (in the style of Henry Moore) on the doorstep. Such is its impact that local farmers dub Noreen 'The old cock and ball', a nickname she has yet to loose. The band refuse to eat anything other than chips, when they are served baked potatoes they throw them on the fire, much to distress of Bluestones waitress, Pippa. On leaving, in the dead of night at the end of February, a van comes to pick them up. It gets stuck in the snow and a tractor has to pull them out. As they depart John Squire assures Noreen that all damages will be paid for. Ian signs the Bluestone Guestbook as 'The laziest man in show business'. Reni writes 'What time is it?'. Mani scrawls, 'Nothing off for good behaviour, Viva la proletariat' and, 'PS the sheep are tight'. John Squire in tiny letters simply signs his name.

February 91

AFTER MONTHS of whisperings about their wish to leave Silvertone, which resulted in an injunction preventing them from recording any new material the Roses
announce that they will go to court in March 4 to free themselves from their contract. Their lawyer, John Kennedy, has prepared a 40 page document explaining why
their deal is not legally binding. Associates of the band claim they have enough new material to fill two new albums, and a behind-the-scenes bidding war is in full

March 91

THE CASE begins in earnest. Peter Prescott QC, on behalf of Silvertone, tells the court that the Roses, "Can't now be heard to say 'Boo Hoo, I now want to get
out of the contract." Gary Gersh, head of A&R for Geffen, has made manager Garrath Evans a huge offer that will cover all legal fees. Evans staying at the plush
Russell Hotel in North London, is noticeably buoyant dodging Journalists while wearing a permanent grin. The band turn up in court to hear Geoffrey Howard, the
man who represented them when they signed the Silvertone deal, give evidence. London begins to get in a lather about rumours that the Roses will stage a huge
summer comeback gig in the south-east of England.

April 91

IAN BROWN and Mani re-appear in court, sitting with fans while the case meanders on. It is revealed that Evans' real name is Ian Bromley, and Silvertone allege
that he Has a ten year deal with the band and receives 33.3% of all their earnings. Silvertone also claim that Evans also never provided the Roses with any detailed
information about the finances of his company, Starscreen Management The proceedings take a decisive turn when it is revealed that the contract with Silvertone is
somewhat one-sided; according to two of several bizarre clauses the label isn't obliged to release Roses product anywhere else in the world and the band only get
half-rate royalties on any greatest hits package. Evans announces that the roses- whose debut album has sold more than 250,000 copies in the USA- will play in
New York's Madison Sq. Garden and the LA Forum.

May 91

THE ROSES win their case. They sign to Geffen for a reputed #20 million, with an initial advance of #2.3 million. "We are looking forward to a new release in the
Autumn" says Mel Posner, head of Geffen's international A&R department. The band resume rehearsals in a rented house in North Manchester, but proceedings are
cut short when John Squire flies to Tenerife with his girlfriend Helen. The band travel to the Cup Winners Cup final in Rotterdam to see Manchester United beat
Barcelona 2-1.

June/July 91

SILVERTONE ANNOUNCE they are to appeal against the courts verdict. Proceedings are not expected to start for nine months, triggering the Roses' conscious
retreat from public view. Football occupies them more than anything else. Aside from the Rotterdam expedition they occasionally have conversations with their
publicist Philip Hall letting him know their immediate intentions and engaging in animated conversations about 'the beautiful game'. Reni begins playing with a BBC
team that also includes members of Yargo and A Certain Ratio: the team that plays at Platt Fields - Man Citys training ground - on Tuesday nights. Ian Brown
occasionally shows up too.

August 91

SILVERTONE, STILL smarting from reported roses-related losses of #1 million, release 'I wanna be adored' as a single, and re-format the album: a gatefold
package is now available. The increasingly wayward Reni appears in court on four charges, including threatening behaviour and
illegal parking. He pleads not guilty. Aside from the legal Hoo-hah, he is also the owner of three houses in Manchester including
one maisonette in a desirable mini-estate near the G-Mex centre - and is earning reasonable amounts of money from being a
landlord. He and his girlfriend - a paediatric doctor at St. Mary's Hospital - are expecting a child.

September/November 91

RENI's GIRLFRIEND gives birth to a son, Cody. The drummer is cleared by Manchester Magistrates on charges of disorderly
behaviour and police obstruction , having refused to move his car which was causing a blockage on Burton road. He admits two
offences - parking in a no waiting zone and causing an obstruction - and is fined #50. In court Reni states: " I have already lodged
a complaint about the way I was physically abused by the Police" Promoted by the increased availability of bootleg tapes and
albums of old material in Manchester, Ian returns to Strawberry Studios with tour manager Steve 'Adge' Atherton to buy back 16 old session tapes - produced by
Martin Hannett - from 1985. The Roses are confirmed as headliners for a vast summer show in Hertfordshire in aid of Oxfam.


December 91/January 92

IT IS now reported that the Roses won't be releasing any new material until Autumn, as the trauma of the Silvertone case has blunted the bands creative edge "After
the court case", says a friend , "John Squire showed the band what he had written and the band said it wasn't good enough. Instead of going straight to the studio, the
band wanted to get it right. They realise they can't rely on hype." The Roses, Garreth and Geffen have a summit meeting mid-way through a frenzied bout of
house-hunting on the back of the Geffen advance. Insiders say that the court case "took a lot out of them".

February/March 92

THE ROSES part company with Garreth Evans after months of speculation surroun- ding their deteriorating relationship,and plan to start recording their second
album with producer John Leckie. Geffen schedule it for release in the early Summer. Keen to record near Ians house, but not enamoured with nearby studios the
roses hire The Rolling Stones mobile studio and move into the Old Brewery in Ewloe, North Wales, a rehearsal studio with 12 bedrooms. Sessions tend to start at 4
or 5 PM and crawl to a close in the wee hours. The Roses bring six songs to the sessions, and work proceeds satisfactorily although they continue to indulge a
passion for throwing eggs at each other. Ian continues his teetotal lifestyle and goes ashen-faced at the mention of mixing his chips with any other food, and is
sufficiently consumed by keeping fit to take up boxing-style skipping exercises. John restricts himself to a few glasses of wine. Only Mani, already calling himself "the
rogue rose", expresses an interest in beer. The group last six weeks at the old Brewery, resolving to return after a break. It becomes obvious that the Eastnor Castle
gig for Oxfam will not be graced by the Roses' presence; The Cure are eventually announced as headliners, but the show never takes place.

April/July 92

RENI's BROTHER Paul Wren appears at Manchester Crown Court on three charges of false pretension. Over a three week period he has taken #1400 from his brother's account, claiming to be Reni. The Roses return to the old brewery with Leckie for a month long stay, Workington a handful of new songs. At least ten of these are destined for eventual release , among them 'Driving South', 'Breaking Into Heaven', 'Love Spreads' and 'Tightrope'. They're heavier than the first album, riding on what studio employees describe as a "killer groove". Leckie tells them that they really ought to go on a creative sabbatical and do some demos on their own, as studio fees are getting exorbitant. The band ignore his advice and make a new year booking at Square One in Bury. No one from Geffen has visited them: an air of nonchalance continues to surround the Roses camp.

August/December 92

THE BAND return to Manchester, where the gang wars have all but obliterated the baggy idyll. Clubs are wracked with violence
and corruption, and the city's glitterati move out of the spotlight. The city's slide is epitomised by the Happy Mondays, degenerating rapidly as they announce that
they're playing to smaller venues to enable them to "see the whites in our audiences eyes". A crucial European Tour is subsequently cancelled. Ian Brown is variously
spotted in Mancunian supermarkets, the upmarket southern suburbs, and parking a new BMW outside a chip shop on Beech Road, Chorlton. Once inside he
continues his one dimensional culinary adventures by ordering a bag of chips. More curiously, he makes a habit of wandering up and down nearby Wilbraham Road
and enthusiastically acknowledging anyone he deems to be cool. The band are regularly spotted in two Chorlton pubs the Beech and The Horse & Jockey, indulging
in concerted drinking sessions during which they sample every variety of bitter available. Mani continues to be a devout disciple of Manchester United, flying to away
games and regularly attending home matches at Old Trafford. The whole band celebrate United's victory over Man City at manto's, a plush bar in the raffish
Whitworth Street corridor. Their chronic inactivity is revealed by the fact that the hire vans once seen making daily visits to Steve Atherton's house are nowhere to be


January/February 93

WITH A tiny fraction of John Squire's fresh fortune, his girlfriend quits being a stallholder on Manchester's Castlefield Market, and set's up a children's' clothing
business. Their daughter appears on the front of her first catalogue. The band, still in football/holidays/Lanzarote mode, receive word that Geffen's Gary Walsh is
planning an excursion to Manchester to find out exactly what is going on. His visit spurs a spate of whispers about a summer single. He tells the band he's worried
about not having heard a single note by them since their signing. He's also looking for a manager for the band, to replace the long departed Gareth Evans.

March/April 93

OUT OF the blue, John Leckie is summoned to Square One studios, to work with equipment hired from Hilton Sound in South London. As far as Leckie is
concerned almost a dozen songs are heading towards eventual completion, including 'Love Spreads', 'Your Star Will Shine', 'Driving South', 'Breaking Into Heaven',
'Begging You' and a "five minute wonder" entitled "Ten Storey Love Song". Geffen, itching to put out some momentum behind the stone roses return begin
approaching potential managers, the most notable of which is Elliot Rashman, manager of Simply Red. Thinking himself unsuitable, Rashman suggests that Nathan
McGough, freshly divorced from the Happy Mondays, applies instead. Tired of working with bands best described as 'quixotic', he decides not to.

April/May 93

IT'S NOW four years from the week that 'The Stone Roses' was released, and then NME travels to Bury to find them. The band remain cautious and refuse to be
interviewed. "Come back in a few months and we'll do a proper interview" declares Ian Brown. The band play pool while dodging correspondence. Leckie
increasingly feels that he's involved in something so strange that it's making his life unbearable. The Bands crew - apart from Steve Atherton and three other close
associates, who are kept on the payroll - begin to loose hope of ever working for the Roses again. They will later be taken on by Oasis, thus forging the much
trumpeted lineage that runs between the two bands. Mani celebrates Man Utd's first League Championship victory in 26 years drinking with friends at Legetts Wine
Bar in Failsworth, north Manchester, the party is eventually broken up by Police. Gary Gersh is appointed President of Capitol records in America. Responsibility
for the Roses is handed over to Tom Zutaut, also in charge of Guns N' Roses.

June/July 93

THE BAND check into the rockfield studios near Mounmouth, run by Kingsley Ward, erstwhile manager of T'Pau. On July 26, Leckie arrives for discussions about
the state of play. Despite the fact that the album is pencilled in for October release, he's so ground down by their erratic schedules that he decides to quit, eloping to
work with (The) Verve and Radiohead.

August 93

PAUL SCHROEDER, producer of Fool's Gold and Don't Stop, takes over from Leckie The Band decide to start afresh, using what they've already recorded as
demos. Local Engineer Simon Dawson becomes Schroeder's right-hand man, gradually assuming a larger role. Ian's obsession with keep fit spreads to the rest of the
band and they all hire mountain bikes. John Squire is the keenest, also leading the band into the chilled out world of kite-flying. Novocaine, a local neo-punk band
are booked into the next-door studio at rockfield when the Roses arrive. Ian strikes up a friendship with the band, particularly with the singer Steve, which eventually
culminated with him providing a lyric for Novocaine's song 'Brain'. Sessions often last through the night, ending at 6 or 7am, recording everything in as few takes as
possible to get them sounding 'live'. Ian and Mani seem particularly lain back, hanging out with local musicians who come up to the studio, sitting around smoking and
laughing at the adverts on HTV. Ian is willing to talk on any subject, favourite topics being Greek mythology and John Lennon. Encouraged by the calm surroundings,
the band start drinking at local pubs The Nags Head and The Bull. John Squire, as expected , is the most aloof of the four, keeping his distance from the bands new
friends and often disappearing off to paint. Gareth Evans recruits Bernard Sumner to produce a single by Man Utd's Winger, Lee Sharpe, Evans has formed his own
label, Volcanic, and declares, "I persuaded Bernard to work with Lee just as I persuaded Hooky to produce the Roses' 'Elephant Stone'. It's going to be a brilliant

September/November 93

MANI, ALREADY installed at a new house in Manmouth, ceases to be the Rogue Rose by starting a relationship with a local girl. The other three's visits to Rock-
field become more intermittent as they spasmodically return to football/holidays /Lanzarote mode and the Charlatans move into their freshly-vacated part of the
studio. The roses return to Rockfield in the first week of November. Also in residence are Lush. Mani and Paul Schroder have become a double act, hanging around
with the Lush party. Mani celebrates his 29th birthday at The Bull with John, Paul, Lush and their producer Mike Hedges, and the circle of Monmouth kids who
become the Roses new entourage. The survivors end up drinking tequila and champagne slammers with Ronnie Rodgers, ex-guitarist with T'Pau. A horrified Mani
finishes the evening holding open the door of the taxi as Lush's Emma Anderson is violently sick. There's also the annual Rockfield bonfire party, attended by Mani
and John Squire, who still tends to spend a worrying amount of time riding round nearby lanes on a mountain bike. Ian Brown meanwhile , makes a habit of
wandering around the studios in the wee hours, cadging fag-ends from the Lush party in order to build Joints.. "Have you got any dimps?" becomes his catchphrase.
The Roses begin formulating a plan for their return. Mani says that the band think the Spike Isl. and Ally Pally shows were fiascos, and they want to play gigs in big
tops, a' la their last show at Glasgow Green. He also says he's written his first song for the album "and it's much better than all the others" The relaxed, jovial vibe
surrounding the Roses' camp is amply demonstrated by a weird incident towards the end of the month. The phone rings in Lush's living quarters midway through the
day. "Is Moiré there?" says a hushed, deep voice, looking for Rockfield's head caterer. " It's John" "No," replies Emma Lush. "It's just that we don't have any eggs,"
says john. "They confiscated them all after we had this massive food fight. I s'posse we'll have to have cornflakes."

December 93

ROSES PUBLICIST, Philip Hall, travels to Rockfield. Rough mixes are played to him, and over the course of an enthusiastic four-hour meeting, he is asked to
manage the band. He accepts, but in a tragic turn of events, he loses his battle against cancer weeks later. The band attend his funeral in London. Back at Rockfield,
they play a bizarre driving game involving racing round back lanes with their headlights off. Eventually, Simon Dawson crashes his car into a ditch but escapes
unscathed. Recording continues at a furious pace. Band members will disappear for a day or two but always return to continue sessions as a band. Listening matter
at this point includes early Neil Young and obscure lo-fi American blues in a quest for a depth and bluesiness missing in modern records. Ian cultivates an obsession
with obscure hardcore rap, while Reni becomes fixated with early Led Zeppelin, zeroing in on the songs' component parts in an effort to discover how they managed
to sound so powerful. Ian shaves his head. A week later, Reni does the same. The group are given a final deadline by Geffen for the completion of their new album.
Artwork for 'The Second Coming' is completed and, although the band have yet to finish at Rockfield, there is speculation that 'Love Spreads' will be released as a
single on Valentines Day, 94. A spokesman announces, "If the album comes out in March then there will probably be a single in mid-February, although we don't
know what it is yet or when it will come out". Ian shows up at TJ's in Newport just before Christmas. When approached by a journalist from the Western Mail, the
Journo is told: "Fuck off! I'm not talking to no tape recorder. Take me as I am or don't bother". He is later seen buying vast amounts of junk food from a nearby
service station at 3:30am. The band head north for Christmas, attempting to wind down.


January 94

HAVING RETURNED to Rockfield immediately after Christmas, Ian hears Oasis on Radio 1's Evening Session and is impressed. The next day Liam and Noel
Gallagher, who are recording 'Definitely Maybe' at nearby Mono Valley, chance upon Ian coming out of WH Smiths. He's shadow boxing like Muhammad Ali and
upon seeing them declares, "Youse are them guys out of fucking Oasis, aren't you? I fucking heard you on the Evening Session Last night.. 'Cigarettes And Alcohol'
... fucking 'ell man, it's about time." Inevitably they start hanging around together and taking moonlight tractor rides through the fields of Monmouth. The Roses travel
to NY to begin the first of several discussions with Peter Leake (manager of Natalie Merchant, The Cowboy Junkies and The Waterboys) who they desperately
want to look after them.

February 94

PAUL SCHRODER leaves Rockfield for the final time and returns to London, remaining tight lipped about Roses related events. Simon Dawson becomes
producer. Ian Brown turns up at TJ's in Newport again to see Novocaine support Dub War. He and Reni are mixing ' Driving South' at the time, which involves
guitar loops played over and over again, building into a trance. The band are listening to Aerosmith and old blues compilations. Ian is by now in the habit of wearing a
ski-hat. Squire has a soft-topped convertible Mercedes parked in the driveway. 'The Second Coming' is now due in "late April".

March/May 94

GARRETH EVANS issues a multi-million pound writ against the band, who are now rapidly approaching the fifth anniversary of their debut album release. They
arrive for another spell at Rockfield but leave soon for two weeks holiday: John Squire further indulges his passion for cycling by taking his bike on vacation to
France. Reni is convalescing from a debilitating illness. They all return on May 14 to see to overdubs and vocals on the new tracks, and take delivery of a fleet of
Ford Fiestas which they delight in racing around the back lanes, once again with the lights off. This time there are no catastrophic accidents. MCA, Geffen's parent
company, inform interested parties that "People who've been talking about the band listening to loads of Led Zep aren't a million miles from the point". John
Kennedy, the bands lawyer, says "The Second Coming" will be everything its title implies."

June/July 94

FINAL MIXING of the album is due to start, with the release date now pencilled in for September. Mani shows up backstage at the Glastonbury festival where he
witnesses the Oasis circus in full effect. Tom Zutaut's visits to Wales are becoming more and more frequent as his paymasters become increasingly anxious. The
band, still without a manager, decide not to continue talks with Peter Leake.

August/September 94

FINALLY, TOM Zutaut's anxiety is allayed when he flies over to hear the comple- ted recordings, which still need final mixing. He is "very pleased with it". Beer
Davies, the Roses' radio pluggers, are also invited to Rockfield. Company boss Garreth Davies and his colleague James Chappell-Gill drive to Wales. Whilst they
are on route, a separate bizarre incident occurs outside the studio. Two itinerant building workers from Manchester are camping down the road while trying to find
work. Driving by Rockfield, they ask the guy at the end of the drive (all but hidden by the darkness) if this is the studio where the Roses are recording. "Yeah," he
tells them. "The album's sound too." It becomes apparent that the man is Ian Brown, and he invites the two builders into the studio. Once Garreth and James have
arrived, Ian and Reni play the album to the four of them. James keeps rocking back on his chair, gasping for words and saying, "Fucking hell...". The record has an
experimental edge with one of the tracks featuring screeching violins. It sounds, James and Garreth agree, as if the Roses have leap-frogged their second album and
made a fantastically ambitious third. Mani, on a drive through Monmouth, plays Steve from Novocaine the finished album. He's blasé' about it by now, just looking
out for individual bass parts, but to someone who's hearing it for the first time the record sounds "amazing". Ian and Mani both confide that they're itching to play live
again. They've waited so long because they were determined to get the record right and now they have they want the world to hear it. To celebrate their leaving the
studios they have a sumptuous formal dinner cooked by Anne the studio chef. Inevitably, it includes chips.

October 94

THE BAND move to Metropolis studios in Chiswick with ex-Clash associate Bill Price, where they work on the albums final mix. Having finished the Roses and
Steve Atherton fly to LA to play Geffen the tapes. They return to meet with Hall Or Nothing, their British publicists, to discuss the campaign for 'Love Spreads' but
fail to turn up for their first meeting. At later discussions the band insist the single is released on November 21st. The British arm of Geffen has no involvement with
the release - so to placate their increasingly frustrated staff, promotions company Beer Davies are taken off the account and in-house pluggers take over. It is
decided to couch the release of ' Love Spreads' in almost theatrical secrecy, culminating in a securior van ferrying a cassette of the single to Radio 1.

November 94

STEVE ATHERTON goes to Rockfield studios to collect the last of the substantial archive amassed since the summer of 93. Feverishly screening his calls, he leaves
a message on his answering machine which features a small child shouting "You'll never take me alive, copper!". John Squire's artwork for 'Love Spreads' - featuring
a gothic cherub atop a heraldic shield, a detail from the Newport-Monmouth road bridge, appears in the Japanese magazine
Rockin' On, along with a full LP track listing, proving that a great deal of the album's songs are at least two years old. It is thought
that a track called "How Do You Sleep" might be a cover of the John Lennon song. It isn't. The Roses' associates are drilled into
near silence. The single is debuted on Radio 1's evening Session on Monday, November 7th and the band go to ground in
preparation for a predictable media onslaught that they will have nothing to do with. This after 46 months of half truths, false starts
and dashed hopes, is the resurrection.....

Thanks to Mike Quinn for the original